It’s week 2 in our new, regular series with some achievable tips to help boost your wellness and win the war against womp-wompiness. Practicing these small, positive changes may begin to add up to measurable improvement towards a happier, healthier and more-sustainable lifestyle. Mix and match these Well-Intended tips each week to see what works and feels best for you!
- Home is Where the Healthy Plate Is: Can you make more of your own meals at home this week than meals made for you? By that, choose fresh, in-season (organic where-possible) whole foods. Experiment with this formula on your plate: Vegetables + (low sugar) Fruit + Gluten-free whole grains (some vegetables and fruit have carbs too so feel free to double down there instead of grains) + protein + (small amount of healthy) fats & oils + a glass of water to drink.
- Gratitude Helps Cultivate Joy: Can you start each morning this week with a positive intention by thinking about 3 new things you’re grateful for today?
- Be a Good Listener and Create Safety in Conversation: Can you improve your relationships with your spouse/partner, family or colleagues by working on your listening and conversation skills? Some examples of that might be:
- Mirroring with you have heard, “Let me see if I’ve got this right. You said…”
- Validating: “That makes sense to me.”
- Expressing Empathy: “I imagine that you might be feeling…”
- Being mindful if you’re gazing vs. glaring at someone. Your amygdala will recognize that the other persons is “open” and “safe” if you gaze instead of glare.
- To learn more about creating positive relationships, you can watch expert Dr. Harville Hendrix here or visit his website here.