Food and a good night’s sleep are at the very top of my hierarchy of needs. I simply don’t operate very well otherwise. To that end, I find that a quick-to-prepare cup of warm, slightly spicy, non-dairy Golden Milk an hour or two before bed really helps with a lovely, peaceful night’s sleep. While that’s the greatest benefit in my book, this Ayurveda tradition rooted in ancient knowledge has been validated by the science of today. In fact, there’s a long list of health benefits touted by the experts about Golden Milk including anti-inflammatory, antioxidant, and immunity boosting. It’s truly a GOODnight Golden Milk.
Here is the 5-minute recipe that I enjoy below.
- 1 cup unsweetened coconut milk or almond milk
- 1 tsp. turmeric (this is what makes it golden in color)
- 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
- Pinch of fresh ground black pepper (helps absorption of turmeric)
- 1/4 tsp. fresh grated or ground ginger
- 1/2 tsp. raw and/or Manuka honey for added antiviral and anti-inflammatory benefits (optional)
- Dash of cardamom
- Blend all ingredients together until smooth (or whisk together in a small sauce pan)
- Warm in a small sauce pan over medium heat until just steaming
- Pour into your favorite mug and hope for sweet dreams!