Well I did it…I jumped on the Trader Joe’s Cauliflower Gnocchi bandwagon. I had seen countless posts about it from my favorite Instagram foodies and I simply couldn’t resist testing the hype. It has some pros and cons for me: not organic (humph), some potato starch included (meh), and you would have some sodium-overdose if you ate the whole bag in a sitting. But, for a very fast, delicious and veg-forward weeknight meal, it has my vote. I’m working on mastering that perfect brown that I see on the bag (the one consensus online is ignoring the directions on the bag and just sautéing them from frozen), but flavor-wise I was happy with the outcome.
Here’s what I whipped up below in about 15 minutes and just 1 pot to clean. This was for a single dinner serving so adjust your proportions accordingly.
- 1 tbsp olive oil (approx.)
- 1 cup Trader Joe’s Cauliflower Gnocchi (find in frozen section)
- 3 cloves Garlic, Sliced
- 2 large leaves of red chard, chopped (or similar)
- 2 carrots, sliced
- 1/4 cup (or so) chicken, vegetable or bone broth (can also substitute water for steaming gnocchi and carrots)
- Spices of choice (I topped with some fresh basil and spice blends I had in my pantry)
- In a medium sized sauce pan or skillet with lid, heat olive oil over medium heat and add sliced garlic, sauté until fragrant.
- Add frozen gnocchi and brown (admittedly, mine only slightly browned unlike the picture so more practice is required).
- Add sliced carrots to gnocchi and garlic and stir to coat in olive oil (add more if necessary).
- Pour in about 1/4 cup chicken broth (or other). Cover and steam the carrots and gnocchi for about 4 minutes (or until preferred doneness of carrots).
- Remove lid and add red chard to wilt. You may cover for just a minute more to help speed the wilting.
- Add favorite spices to taste and serve.
Of course there are thousands of other ways you could make these gnocchi your own with sauce, pesto, or other vegetable and protein combinations. Have fun experimenting like I did!