I limit my red meat consumption to about 1-2 times a month, doing my best to find alternate sources of protein. So, when I do opt for red meat, it better be good! These Cilantro Lime Marinated Bison Steak Fajitas with Roasted Vegetables come together quick and was a big hit with my family. Bison is higher in protein and lower in fat than beef so I find these fajitas both rich in nutrients and flavor! Serve on the tortilla of your choice, over rice or on a nice salad – you can’t go wrong.
Cilantro Lime Marinated Bison Fajitas with Roasted Veggies
Prep time: 2 hours to marinate (or cheat to 30 minutes), 10 minute prep, 25 minutes to cook (15 for steak, 25-ish for veggies unless prefer more al dente)
Cilantro Lime Marinade:
- 1/2 cup fresh squeezed lime juice (about 2-3 limes depending on their size)
- Small handful of chopped cilantro
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 3-4 cloves crushed garlic
- 1 tsp raw honey
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp red pepper flakes (or more to taste)
- Dash of pink Himalayan sea salt (or other salt)
Note: you may want to reserve some of the marinate not used with the meat to dress your salad if you choose not to use in a tortilla.
- 2 lb. bison flank steak (I typically buy 2, 1 lb. steaks to fit in skillet)
- 3 bell peppers of your choice – sliced into strips
- 1 sweet or yellow onion – sliced into strips
Optional Pairings and Toppings:
- Tortillas, rice or salad
- Pico de Gallo
- Chopped cilantro
- Sour cream
- Cast iron skillet for steak (alternately, can grill steak)
- Baking sheet for veggies
- In a large ziplock or glass container, combine the marinade ingredients with the raw bison steak. Seal and marinate in refrigerator from 30 minutes to 2 hours. Remove from refrigerator about 20 minutes before cooking.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Slice bell peppers and onions. Arrange on a baking sheet and toss with a splash of olive oil, salt and pepper to coat. Roast approx. 25 minutes or to preferred level of doneness (more or less.)
- Meanwhile, heat a little olive oil over medium high heat in cast iron skillet. Remove bison from the marinade and discard the marinade. Sear steak for 4-5 minutes on each side for medium- to medium-rare – cover skillet while cooking. May need to turn on vent to reduce smoke.
- Remove meat from skillet and let rest 5 minutes. Slice into strips against the grain.
- Serve with roasted peppers and onions as well as additional toppings of your choice!
0 comments on “Cilantro Lime Bison Fajitas”