After a couple weeks of various celebrations and some wayward food choices, my body is begging me to get back on track with my wellness. It was time for a detox soup filled with cruciferous vegetables that are packed with nutrients and vitamins among other many benefits like reduced inflammation. I personally love the taste of green cabbage in soup – it takes on such a sweet quality and combines well with a variety of other vegetables. Here are a few other reference links to get the full scoop on all the cruciferous options and their benefits from the experts:
2 Great Guides to Cruciferous Vegetables:
Health benefits of Cabbage: https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/284823.php
Well-Intended Detox Soup
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 head green cabbage, chopped
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 5 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 3 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 large zucchini, sliced into quarters
- 4-5 clove garlic, sliced
- 1 quart organic chicken or vegetable stock
- 2, 8 fl. oz. organic chicken bone broth with turmeric, ginger and black pepper (or, skip bone broth, increase vegetable stock and just add the turmeric, ginger and black pepper spices on your own to keep this purely vegetarian)
- In a large soup pot, sauté the onions on medium heat until translucent.
- Add all other vegetables and sauté until begin to soften.
- Add stock and bone broth and reduce heat to simmer.
- Cover and cook for 30-45 minutes or until desired texture of vegetables. Add seasoning as desired.